learning goal: how does Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s short story affect your thinking about angels?
read story (TBA)
write response (TBA)
weekly membean expectations* begin for week of Mon Oct 2 – Sun Oct 8
*Typically, a membean week runs monday thru sunday.
As recommended the membean staff, do a series of brief learning sessions over the course of the week. Let the learning sink in over time, rather than trying to cram at the last minute. The point of using membean is to build a more robust vocabulary, in order to become a more forceful and flexible writer. Once you find a weekly rhythm, stay with it. Exercise discipline.
The corresponding weekly grading scheme looks like this:
- 90% for at least 45 minutes with at least 3 learning sessions on different days, and each session lasting at least 10 minutes (15 minutes works better)
- 100% for 60 minutes or more, with the same expectations as above
- 0% for totals below 45 minutes, regardless of number of sessions or days
- students with significant “dubious minutes” receive 0% for the week (I define when the number of dubious minutes becomes significant)
- conference required of those receiving 0% for dubious minutes
- zeroes continue for each week, until conference has occurred
- grade entered as “class preparation”